Here is a wonderful plant based recipe that is a great one to add to to your family menu plans. This Plant-Based Meatloaf is filled with healthy ingredients and sure to please! My husband and I were recently invited to go to a local restaurant that holds a monthly vegan potluck. Anyone is invited as long as you bring a dish to share. It was really fun especially since we got to try lots of great recipes! Our nutritional goals are to eat more plant based meals and choose foods with the least amount of ingredients in our day to day meals so this was perfect. If you don’t have a group like this in your area think about starting one of your own, getting together once a month to share great food and recipes.
Plant Based Meatloaf
- 1 Cup Uncooked Green Lentils Cook placing 1 cup to the side
- 1 Cup Walnut halves Toast at 350 for 10 minutes
- 2 teaspoons Minced Garlic
- 2 Cups Finely diced Onion
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Cup Finely chopped Celery
- 1 Cup Grated Carrot
- 1/3 Cup Grated Apple
- 1/8 Cup Finely chopped Red Pepper
- 1 Slice Finely diced Whole Grain Bread I use Dave’s Killer Bread
- 3 Tablespoons Ground Flax Seed
- 1/2 Cup Ground Oat Flour
- 1-2 teaspoons Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Salt
- Cook 1 Cup green lentils. When done measure out 1 cup and set to the side. Mash the remaining with a fork.
- Lay walnut halves on a parchment lined cookie sheet. In a 350 degree oven toast the walnuts for 10 minutes or until golden. When cool chop fine.
- Drizzle pot with oil and heat. Add garlic and onion and saute until soft and fragrant.
- Add Salt, Cumin, and Black Pepper.
- Next add Carrot, Celery, Apple and Red Pepper. Cook, stirring until soft. It is important that all the vegetables are finely diced and all the same size.
- Add the diced bread, finely chopped toasted walnuts, flax and oat flour to the vegetables.
- Add the mashed lentils and whole lentils and stir everything together.
- Next add the seasonings and TASTE! Add more until you get the taste you like.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and press mixture into the pan with a fork pressing firmly to fill.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 60 minutes.
- Wait at least 15 minutes before serving. Turn upside down onto serving plate and remove the parchment paper. Top with barbecue sauce or ketchup.
- Carefully slice and use a small spatula to serve.